top of page
We envision a future for Lorain where the Lorain Historical Society will be a leader in local history preservation, education, and community engagement; where children and adults are inspired by their shared and diverse history; and where people work together to create a vibrant city that is economically strong and a great place to live.
Lorain Historical Society engages members of the community and our visitors in our shared and diverse history through preservation, education, collaborations, and exciting programming for all ages, so that we learn from the past, develop civic pride, and transform the future.
The cornerstone for the building that is referred to as the Carnegie Center was laid on August 19, 1903. The building project was funded with a $30,000 gift from the Andrew Carnegie Building Foundation, along with support from the local community.
One hundred and ten years later, in August of 2013, the Lorain Historical Society collaborated with the City of Lorain, Lorain City Council, and the Lorain Port Authority to acquire ownership of this building. It is now the home to the administrative offices, community meeting room, gift shop, historic display center, and education center of the Lorain Historical Society.
National Register of Historic Places
August is a historic and memorable month for the “old Carnegie Library” (now named the “Carnegie Center”) located at 329 W.10th Street in Lorain. It was 120 years ago this month that the cornerstone was laid, marking the beginning of the construction of a beautiful library in the heart of a residential district and within walking distance to the downtown area. Fast forward to August 2013 when the Black River Historical Society (now known as the Lorain Historical Society) acquired the property from the Lorain Port Authority and began a Capital Campaign to raise money for its renovation. Today, in August 2023, a brief ten years later, the Carnegie Center has been recognized by the National Park Service on the National Register of Historic Places.
Inside the Carnegie Center
Leonard M. Moore built what is now referred to as the Moore House Museum in 1906. He was a bank trustee, businessman, and Secretary/Treasurer of the Lorain Lumber and Manufacturing Company, as well as City Council Member and Mayor.
He and his wife, Caroline, raised their three daughters in this home, and his daughter Helen lived there until her death in 1980. The house was left to the City of Lorain in Helen’s will.
In 1994, the Moore House became the home to the Black River Historical Society, now known as the Lorain Historical Society. It is maintained as a house museum of the 1920’s era of Lorain.
bottom of page