Plan Your Visit

 

THE CARNEGIE CENTER

 

The cornerstone for the building that is referred to as the Carnegie Center was laid on August 19, 1903.  The building project was funded with a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Building Foundation, in the amount of $30,000 along with support from the local community. 

Head Librarian, Margaret Deming remarked “this is one of the greatest days...to open the doors to that elect society which is the privilege of us all to enjoy when we read good books.”

One hundred and ten years later, in August of 2013, the Lorain Historical Society collaborated with the City  of Lorain, Lorain City Council and the Lorain Port Authority to acquire ownership of this building.  It is now the home to the administrative offices, community meeting room, gift shop, historic display center and education center of the Lorain Historical Society.

The Carnegie Center is open for TOURS on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10 am – 3 pm. Check out our “Events” tab for details and for more information on Special Programs at the Carnegie Center.

Tour Fees:  
A nominal fee of $5 is charged for adults and seniors; $3 for students from age 6 - 21; free for children up through age 6, but must be accompanied by an adult.  Lorain Historical Society Members are free.

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES:

The Administrative Office, located at the Carnegie Center, is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 am - 3 pm.  Anyone interested in research is asked to call ahead for an appointment at (440) 245-2563.

WEATHER CLOSINGS:

In case of inclement weather, or if the Lorain City Schools are closed, the Carnegie Center and the Moore House Museum will be closed.  Notices will be posted on social media as well as wkyc.co

 

MOORE HOUSE

 

Leonard M. Moore built what is now referred to as the Moore House Museum in 1906. He was a bank trustee, businessman and Secretary/Treasurer of the Lorain Lumber and Manufacturing Company as well as City Council Member and Mayor.

He and his wife, Caroline, raised their three daughters in this home, and his daughter Helen lived there until her death in 1980.  The house was left to the City of Lorain in Helen’s will.

In 1994, the Moore House became the home to the Black River Historical Society, now known as the Lorain Historical Society.  It is maintained as a house museum of the 1920’s era of Lorain.

 

The Moore House Museum is open for TOURS on Tuesdays from 10 am – 3 pm and for special programs.   Check out our “Events” tab for more information on Special Programs at both the Moore House and Carnegie Center.

Tour Fees:  

A nominal fee of $5 is charged for adults and seniors; $3 for students from age 6 - 21; free for children up through age 6, but must be accompanied by an adult.  Lorain Historical Society Members are free.

WEATHER CLOSINGS:

In case of inclement weather, or if the Lorain City Schools are closed, the Carnegie Center and the Moore House Museum will be closed.  Notices will be posted on social media as well as wkyc.com.

 

Visit Our Gift Shop at The Carnegie Center

While you’re here, take a look at some of our unique gifts.